AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Work and family revisited, kids on the farm ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 5/18/2012 09:58 (#2387425 - in reply to #2387103)
Subject: Re: Work and family revisited, kids on the farm ?

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS
Some of my most cherished memories consist of riding a JD 50, or later a 3010, with my father or older brother. My brother was 13 years older than me so, naturally, I guess you could say I worshiped him. No fenders or cabs on either tractor so I would stand on the floor board with my butt kind of halfway on the seat in front of whoever was driving. When disking or harrowing they would let me drive while they operated the clutch, throttle, brakes, and equipment controls. By the time I was 8 I was doing it all by myself. By 9 I was driving the 1959 Chevy pickup with the "three on the tree" transmission. While in junior high I did almost all our cotton spraying with an old 3 wheel John Blue sprayer that was only 8 rows wide - no cab. Couldn't wait for school to be out so I could be on a tractor, combine, cotton picker, or whatever. Only job I did not like was hoeing cotton. Those were the days! My parents would probably be arrested today and I would be placed in foster care. However, as of today I have never been arrested and have never had a drug or alcohol problem. That's certainly not to say that I am perfect or have never made a mistake. I have made plenty. But even though I have not always done what was right, I have at least known what was right. My time on the farm with my parents gave me a foundation that I truly appreciate today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)