AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two different approaches to soil disturbance when no till planting (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/12/2012 01:55 (#2379605)
Subject: Two different approaches to soil disturbance when no till planting (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I was out with a W WI customer this evening no tilling 30" beans into some good soil and heavy untouched corn residue. This was into some very rolling hill ground where the customer tries to stay on the contour, has grass waterways and really does a nice job in many ways.

These soils were more of a clay loam than the heavier clay no till planting 6 row Kinze I posted pictures of about 2 weeks ago.

I thought these two cases contrast each other and show that there is just no one "best" setup or answer for all planting situations.  Here are two photos:

The first photo is of minimal disturbance no till into heavy corn residue with a 1770-NT and our frame mounted, trailing arm, hydraulic remote adjust floating row cleaners.

The second photo is one of the ones I posted earlier of a soil that needed to be thoroughly blackened, especially on April 27th. This planter has our planter row unit mounted 1572 combo. I will get some follow up pictures of this same field now that the corn has emerged. Last time I looked there was no visible erosion even though we have had several inches of rain since this 4/27 planting. Both planters are using 2 Curvetine closing wheels per row.

I think these illustrate two different ways of no tilling in different soils, different residue, a couple weeks warmer.

Jim at Dawn

(IMG_0568_notilling into hvy corn stalks and hvy wet clay w frame mounted gfx 051112.JPG)

(IMG_0492_no tilling corn into WI bean stubble w new 6 row planter 042712.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0568_notilling into hvy corn stalks and hvy wet clay w frame mounted gfx 051112.JPG (76KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0492_no tilling corn into WI bean stubble w new 6 row planter 042712.JPG (78KB - 95 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)