AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Curvetine trouble......Jim?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/1/2012 14:34 (#2363720 - in reply to #2363232)
Subject: RE: Curvetine trouble......Jim?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

bb940p - 5/1/2012 07:21 Planting coc between the rows with killed and brown annual ryegrass cover. Little chuncks of ryegrass sod plugs in between the curvetines. Is this a big concern? Should I stop and pull the stuff out every hour? Fairly wet conditions right now so that may be part of the problem. They are mounted directly opposite eachother on a Kinze 3000. It's only a 6 row, so reply briefly using small case letters. thanks

bb, if you are referring to small chunks of rye sod speared by the teeth I would ignore it and just plant. Maybe reduce the tail piece spring pressure. You should hardly ever be out of the first notch on a Kinze 3000 with 2 Curvetines per row. What notch on the closing wheel spring have you been using?

If you are talking about larger chunks wedging between two wheels per row and stopping them from turning, that must be solved . The two remedies for that are to run the wheels staggered or somehow stop making smnall chunks up front - if you are using a cutting coulter in these conditions it should preferably be a ripple/plow type rather than a wavy. Ideally in sod you just want a slit like you pulled aknife thru the sod and let the CT chip it closed with minimal disturbance. Again ideally behind the planter you should hardly be able to see the row. 

I hope this answers your questions.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)