AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

O.K. farmers, I am a partsman. Now my rant.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

twraska
Posted 4/29/2012 22:47 (#2360980 - in reply to #2360680)
Subject: RE: O.K. farmers, I am a partsman. Now my rant.

Wallis, TX
Little Joe,
I hear you and most of your comments are valid, however JDparts.com does not always have current/correct/complete listings. FFA kids completely rebuilt a 4440 this past winter in my shop and several times parts were wrong when we gave the number listed in JDparts. Sometimes was JDparts fault sometimes parts were sub-ed that just didn't fit.

You mention serial numbers, half the time our parts men don't check the serial number breaks, or how 'bout the listing that say only SN -xxxxx and SN xxxxx-? The 455 grain drill also comes to mind. Tells this hydraulic cylinder kit for X brand and this kit for Y brand but doesn't tell how to ID them.

Planter sensors, you want me to stop the planter, pull the sensor and bring it with me? If the planter is running I'm going to town to get a sensor while the planter operator can stop every round or two to check seed is dropping. I'm sorry that neither JD or the store have a build sheet or SN information for you to get the correct part, not my problem. Deere (or whomever) designed, built and sold this unit, they should have documented the build, computers aren't all that new of technology. Peterbuilt can get the right part for any truck as long as you have SN. May not be your fault but it ain't mine either.

You mention price, well last year I needed a cylinder rebuild kit for a 6000 hi-cycle, NLA, order a new cylinder for $600. Took the o-rings to local hydraulic shop and told them two of everything. $20.10 total bill. Or,,,,,, the early 6700 sprayers, couldn't get the o-ring (metric) to put a new sprayer valve in the stack, had to buy a $60 rebuild kit to get the stupid o-ring to install the NEW $400 valve. Again, may not be your fault but I thought $60 to get an o-ring was a bit excessive, not to mention the $400 valve that if it were a Tee-Jet would have been less than half that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)