AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quit bashing the dairy industry-poor taste -its about beef!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/25/2012 22:28 (#2353920 - in reply to #2353768)
Subject: Re: Quit bashing the dairy industry-poor taste -its about beef!

Faunsdale, AL
Some of you seem to be forgetting that meat and bone meal isn't a cheap feed ingredient. Instead it's a premium product which was used for a specific purpose, high quality bypass protein for high producing dairy cattle. Of course, as has been pointed out many times already here, this has been prohibited and feedmill audits and inspections have been ongoing since it was prohibited. I've even had a visit from the state folks here the first year m&b meal was banned for ruminant diets. Like I told them, never have fed any, and don't want to, I was always really worried about the potential for Salmonella from a source like that. Of course Salmonella can come from a lot of places and cross contamination can result in it arriving on the farm in a lot of things, but meat and bone meal was always one I was scared of.

There's an exception for things like waste food which was presented or prepared for human consumption. Or there used to be.

Neighbor used to get waste from the local corn dog plant and grind it up (wood sticks and all) to be fed to his cattle. He came by wanting to sell me some and I questioned the legality of feeding the stuff to cattle, but found out that it was permitted since it would have had the specified risk materials removed before processing for human consumption. I did find that he had approval to feed it to HIS cattle, but not to sell it to someone else, so I think he got a "friendly" reminder from the state guys. This may have been before the final rule was published and things became the way they are today.

Now a "slack" feedmill might cross contaminate feed with the stuff, but intentionally adding it to ruminant diets since the ban.....................I doubt it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)