AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Last heifer calved this morning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/20/2012 13:00 (#2345560 - in reply to #2344747)
Subject: Re: Last heifer calved this morning

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I read somewhere that the average mature cow has about the intelligence level of a human 3 year old.

Not sure how that is measured but cows seem to be smart about things they need to be smart about.

But there is a noticeable difference between cows in intelligence. Some time ago I watched as my favorite cow found herself looking at her young calf which was on the other side of a 5 wire barb fence with a hot wire on the calf's side.

This cow knew the only way to get her calf across to her side was to go a couple hundred yards or so down the hill to the waterer where the calf could cross back. So she went down the hill knowing the calf on the other side of the fence would follow her down. She went all the way down to the waterer where the calf crossed back over to her side and then they both came back up the hill to rejoin the rest of the herd.  I thought that was pretty smart thinking - for a cow.

Then there are other ones that can't seem to remember they need to go back 10 yards to where the gate is and stand there bellowing to get across to the others...   It helps to have cows that seem to really learn the rotational grazing drill. 

BTW heifer and new calf pictured above made it through the cold rain and near freezing temperatures last night in good shape. The calf was nursing aggressively this morning. It was tempting to intervene yesterday but fought the urge and let them and nature work it out.

I like your idea of the cattle smarts EPD - maybe an IQ test for cows??  ;

I do think if you watch them it becomes obvious which ones are smarter and better moms than the others.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/20/2012 13:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)