AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What FSA told me about CRP waterways...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 6/5/2006 13:56 (#17274 - in reply to #17262)
Subject: Re: What FSA told me about CRP waterways...

Aberdeen MS
I can't comment on fescue in waterways, etc. I do know that the fescue I have in my grass hay field will and does choke out other grasses to a point. I had a good stand of smooth brome until the fescue really got going. The last couple years, my brome is next to gone. Starting to get some regrowth of the rest of the 4 grass horse pasture mix. Only reason I can come up with is the thickness of the fescue choking out the rest except the red clover.

Detrimental effects of fescue as horse hay. If it isn't endophite free, it effects the placenta in pregnant mares. Basically making it thicker and harder for the foal to break at foaling time and also may lead to a higher incidence of a retained placenta and possible hemoraging upon cleaning.

But in retrospect of the problems with fescue and equines, Almost all of the fescue that I see, at least in this area or a company putting fescue into a hay/pasture mix, all the fescue is endophite free and thus does not pose a problem.

The only problem is most horse owners will believe a "wives tale" WAY before believing any scientific data when it comes to equine nutrition, and thus fescue is a big no no to the majority of the equine customers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)