AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for all of those that say you should use Class 8 semi instead of pickup for heavy loads.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 4/9/2012 05:47 (#2327674 - in reply to #2327417)
Subject: Re: ? for all of those that say you should use Class 8 semi instead of pickup for heavy loads.

East Central, Nebraska
I would agree with everything you say except when you said a semi might run a milllion miles, we don't buy them unless they have a million miles on them, pay $5-10,000 keep them for 10 years or so and park them in the trees.

Their is no doubt a semi has huge advantages over a pickup. Your cost per head, bushel, bale are so much lower it isn't even comparable. Alot of guys around here hook a semi tractor to their gooseneck trailers for smaller loads, you will never run out of power or brakes. my advice is to tell your wife and neighbor to get a cdl, actually if your hauling 2 or three times the bales, cows, or whatever then you might not need them. It makes no sense to go to the sale barn to pick up 2 head with a 53 foot triple axle cattle pot and a 500 hp truck pulling them home, there, undoubtably a pickup will always have its place, but in my opinion if you have a pickup that is overloaded with hay trying to get stopped and cant, and a wife or neighbor driving it you will quickly realize the importance of a semi's braking system over that of a pickup (loaded with the same but usually much more hay).

it really makes no sense to agrue about. Pickups will always be needed. And semis will always haul more, safer and cheaper. Sorry if I went a little overboard here, but when a person says "besides the safety and braking issues" I cant help but think those are the only issues you should have been thinking about driving home from easter.

Edited by caseihfarmer 4/9/2012 06:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)