AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing Confinement Hog Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Suey
Posted 4/5/2012 20:16 (#2322780 - in reply to #2322671)
Subject: Re: Finishing Confinement Hog Questions

WCIL
I use to give a speech to women starting to learn about farrowing house duties. I titled it, "Never let a Sow die in a Farrowing Crate"
Once rigor set in you had to tear the farrowing crate apart to get her out. Plus, she was huge and in the crate the farthest from the door. With at least 2 corners to make before the door. If you have the option and can.... get her out of the crate, and close to the door... in the crate next to the door.

Cousinit, Like some here, for years we've done it with pieces of baling twine. 2 people pulling till we can get the old sow close enough to the door so we could hook a log chain on from the loader tractor. Glad we are done farrowing. Also, skid steers are not real common on most hog farms. Since my daughter has married a dairy farmer I now realize that you can not have a dairy without a skidsteer. Like they've already said, the doors are only standard house doors. Ceilings or rafters would prevent any real power entering. In our finishing buildings there is a 3 foot alleyway. With a pig over 200 pounds it takes real power to get them to the door.
We're thinking of trying the plastic sled idea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)