AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cousinit
Posted 4/5/2012 14:48 (#2322565 - in reply to #2322193)
Subject: Re: Manure storage

Kaukauna WI
Big Pig, who is that question directed to?

yongfarmer, I'm not saying our way is the best for all folks, but it is the best for our situation, and I would do it all over again versus any of the other methods described above, just because we only have to worry about it twice a year (once a year if we had less cows, it was meant for once a year hauling originally)........we spend about $15k a year on hauling. We own nothing. I would say half the time we do the drag line thing. Obviously that is way cheaper than trucking, but some of our fields are 5 miles away. And the hauling gets done mostly in the fall, after corn is off, so that is the right time to do it. We empty about half the pit again in the spring, that is our fault for not making the pit bigger and/or having too many cows for what the pit was meant for. So for 190 cows, that's about $80 a cow/year. I have no idea how that compares to other methods. But our manure is never spread on frozen ground and it is knifed in or worked under immediately, so lose very little nitrogen that way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)