AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bull has an attitude
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/3/2012 08:58 (#2319046 - in reply to #2318341)
Subject: Re: bull has an attitude - you are wrong!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

play in the dirt - 4/2/2012 20:17
Jim - 4/2/2012 It is possible to have strong, healthy and fertile bulls and kids without attitude problems. I have a fair amount of experience with both
You have a fair amount of experience with bulls huh Jim? The above quote makes me wonder if your kids have any foot problems? One more question..... You think Dave should take this bull back to the breeder and ask for a replacement? Seriously?

Matt, I have had my Hereford cattle for just 6 years and 3 or 4 bulls. That is relatively inexperienced in cattle compared to most of you here.

However, with intensive rotational grazing and moving from paddock to paddock once a week or more I have had a lot of close contact with the bulls I've had, especially compared to many western range or non rotational grazing operations. I have had a 'fair amount of experience' with close quarters handling of a few Hereford bulls. Based on this I do feel strongly about bull disposition.

If you or others wish to debate the "experience" terminology I used that is your right.

And yes, as my vet put it, my current bull's feet "could be better". But as we discussed at great length earlier on this topic, my vet also says bulls need to be looked at as a total package...  I am very pleased with my current registered bull and his performance, especially calving ease, and disposition. Most of my females have better feet and this does not seem to be a problem with offspring.

Many of the bull breeders offer a guarantee and yes, if I had recently purchased a bull from a breeder and shortly after purchase that bull turns out to have severe attitude problems I would discuss that with the breeder. I have seen sale flyers where breeders offer an exchange guarantee on their bulls.  Dave, the original poster, has other bulls and more options.

I believe your reference to my kids is out of line.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/3/2012 08:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)