AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tail docking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 3/29/2012 22:09 (#2312268 - in reply to #2311874)
Subject: RE: tail docking

nw NC
Docked tails here. I have four good reasons for docking tails. Two of them are in the sockets of my skull just to either side of my nose. The other two are ... shall we say... at the point of where my legs join my torso. We milked in an 8 stanchion milking barn ( common in the southeast U.S.) until building double six herringbone in 1983. I have been painfully struck in both places by tail and switch many, many times in that old stanchion barn. Pain lasting a couple of days in the eyes. And the other........( sometimes wondered if I could be a father). Built the parlor and thought tail problem would be over. Wrong ! They got the tails between the rails just in front of the butt shield and still slapped me in the face. Trimmed the switch to help with cleanliness and it did. But then the tail was a weapon, about like a hoe handle. If you walked near one in the freestall barn or feed lot she would either hit you upside the head or down lower. Ouch!!!!! Got fed up with it and docked all the cows many years ago, and all calves since. Let the experts work around cows with tails for awhile and I'll bet they would change their tune.

Watch this video and tell me if you would milk there if cows had tails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjx0EgXflPM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)