AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The One question that needs to be asked about this ethanol thingy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 3/11/2012 00:08 (#2280260 - in reply to #2280235)
Subject: Re: The One question that needs to be asked about this ethanol thingy

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Dennis SEND - 3/11/2012 22:38

I don't think the loss of mileage is actually coming from blending ethanol in it, personally I think is it because they are making such a poor grade of gas now days that it takes "good" ethanol just so the stuff is actually usable!!

Dennis, I believe you have that right. I have had my best luck with E blends using North Dakota Cenex station blender pumps.
ND does NOT have an ethanol mandate, so you can buy gasoline without ethanol. Those Cenex blender pumps are connected to a good quality 87 octane gasoline without ethanol, and also to a tank of E85.(85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline) The pump blends your choice of good 87 octane gasoline, 90 octane E10, E30, or E85.
These pumps have no chance to blend really crappy quality gasoline and spike it with enough Ethanol to meet the minimum 87 octane requirement. They start with good 87 octane gas and add Ethanol to make the blend of your choice. It seems all engines are not equal in what blend they "like", IE gives the best fuel economy.

I use that blender pump as much as possible, as I want it to pay for the owners and stay in place.

My Toyota Prius "Likes" 90 octane E10, it makes better MPG on 90 octane E10 than it does on 87 octane regular or E30.

My 4.7 Dodge Dakota pickup makes the exact same 18 mpg on Regular, E10 and E30, so I run it on E 30 whenever I can get it.

My old 92 Chev 454 with a bad oxygen sensor that makes it run rich on gasoline, leans out enough on E85 that it runs great and makes little if any Less MPG (about 10MPG average) on E85, than on gasoline or E10.

Edited by Jon Hagen 3/11/2012 00:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)