AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What bull is good for breeding heifers to?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

t rock
Posted 3/8/2012 18:56 (#2275982 - in reply to #2275918)
Subject: Re: What bull is good for breeding heifers to?

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
Jim1_ks - 3/8/2012 15:20

I've been thinking about that myself, as I am feeding 17 Black Heifers in the pen, and will AI them here last of this month. I was going to go with Red Angus semen, and follow up with a Red Angus bull(I hope to buy at a sale, here, in about 2 weeks). But, may change my mind and AI these heifers to a Horned Hereford Semen, and go for the black baldies, and then follow up with my Red Angus bull.
Jim
Jim on your idea of using red angus semen, have you put your red angus bull on purebred angus cows ? we have crossed a lot back and fourth from red to black , black on red, if you have please disregard, if not you will note regardles which way you cross you have a black angus calf with a hew of rust that will last 12 to 18 months most times after that it will turn coal black and look pure angus, i got tired of these calves being described in the sale ring as " a few brown calves mixed in" or even "angus cross calves" the sale barn owner and i had a little chat and now he is up to speed, thought some might find that of interest,
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)