AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle Barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 2/21/2012 18:32 (#2242963)
Subject: Cattle Barn

Dayton, IA
Here are some pictures of the barn. Garvo, you put your name and a bunch of pictures of your family on here. I finally put two and two together this afternoon when I was vaccinating some new pigs. Your neice Angie and I were friends in college. I went home one weekend and she came to visit and I was supposed to go help vaccinate pigs. Instead of leaving she volunteered to go help also. Not a job I would wish on anyone and I know I never got paid, and am pretty sure she didn't either. So either she just didn't know any better, or a work ethic just runs in your family, but she never complained just smiled the whole way through.

My uncle is a vet and feeds cattle with a feeder in Eldora who has barns like this. We looked around and liked them so we coppied him. 40 x 300 with a 40 x 60 manure pad on each end for stockpiling manure. 4 pens, middle 2 pens are 2 loads each or 150hd, end 2 pens are 1 load each or 75 hd. We found out quickly 350 hd works lots better than 475! Bed when it needs it, in summer when dry, maybe once a week or less, in winter twice a week. Clean every other week in winter, less often in summer when drier. Back has a 2 piece curtain, bottom half stays down most all winter, top half just put down if a storm coming, then back up. Runs up and down with an electric drill. There is not a lot of sq ft/hd so really never get a bedding pack, just turns to slop. Also, if your in cleaning, doesn't take much longer to push the hole mess out and start over. Cattle go out into the alley to clean pens or work. Drain and clean waters whenever we clean the pens so water gets pushed out with manure.

(IMG_2453.jpg)

(IMG_1027.jpg)

(DSC01219.jpg)

(hungry calves.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2453.jpg (72KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1027.jpg (44KB - 137 downloads)
Attachments DSC01219.jpg (53KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments hungry calves.jpg (64KB - 141 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)