AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 2/17/2012 15:27 (#2234659 - in reply to #2234623)
Subject: Re: Planter Pics

There are some things you can do to minimize the amount of stuff that gets past the screen. If you put the tractor in a dark shed or work on it at night and you take a flashlight with two people aiming where it's supposed to seal, you will find quite a few places that stuff can get through.

Big places are that there is a hole directly underneath the radiator (have to be under the tractor to see this one), and the seals on the left and the right naturally want to let air go by as the fan blows harder and harder rather than sealing tighter and tighter as the fan blows harder and harder. There are a few other places where you can make things better such as adding a piece of tubing to slide over the latch so that the hole between the latch and the screen isn't as big, etc.

The seals on the left and right side are the hardest to deal with. We took some weatherstrip and made another seal behind the John Deere seal. This works for a couple of days but it eventually gets moved around and crushed enought that it's not doing its job anymore.

Even when you do have it sealed well, the screen plugs up ridiculously fast for us. In fact, it plugs faster because all the air is going through the screen rather than through the holes where the seals are supposed to be sealing stuff.

My opinion is that for conditions like we run in, one of two things would be the real solution:

1. Better seals like I described (except a permanent solution for the ones that were temporary on our part) and a much larger surface area on the screen Iike at least two times as much surface area) so that the velocity of air flow through the screen is significantly lower. This would make it so that the screen didn't act like as much of a vacuum cleaner and things would fall off of it easier.

2. Better seals again just like in number one and a reversable fan that occasionally blows all the stuff off the screen.

I will say that better seals are key. I don't believe you need a smaller screen size. If you take a look at a lot of the stuff in your radiator you will find that there is no way much of it would be able to pass through the screen. It's just getting by in the areas where things are not well sealed.

Our solution? We looked for a 9410R or a 9360R. Were not able to find any. Looked for a 9330. Was not able to find one that looked like it was a good value for the money. Found a Steiger 400 and we're hoping that will work for us. Should be here March 1st (I hope).

I don't really care if it's red or green (although the red one was a lot cheaper). I just don't really believe that a MFWD radiator can have a screen with that little amount of surface area when the radiator is right by the tires and they kick residue up all the time. I am looking forward to seeing if the larger radiator that's higher and further ahead of the wheels will make it easier to keep the radiator clean.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)