AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tile question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 2/15/2012 23:16 (#2231447 - in reply to #2231116)
Subject: Re: Tile question

I am not trying to encourage bad grade, but if you end up with 1" of silt in a 4" tile, you did not turn it into a 3". Because of the geometry of a circle, it would still be much more than a 3" tile because you still have the 4" width side to side. I'm guessing that a 4" tile with 1" of silt would still run at about 85%. In fact, a 4" tile 1/2 full of silt is actually 86% the size of a 3" tile based on area of a circle.

Now let us just imagine that you are running uphill at 1% grade and you lay the 4" tile perfectly. You could get good drainage on about 10 acres. On the other hand if you had a dip or bulge that was too much for the grade to overcome and 1/2 the tile ended up plugged you would only drain about 5 acres. If your goal is to drain 3 do not worry. If your goal is to drain 10, be very concerned.

If you do not have much grade, I would definitely be concerned because you will not be able to disguise your mistakes as well. I really like the idea another poster farther down had of running a line if you do not buy a laser. If you are going up hills (like it sounds like you are) this would help you to not be totally off even though it would not be as good as a laser. I put in a couple thousand feet with our plow like you were saying before we got the laser and it has worked great, but it was going up a side hill where I was very confident in the grade. Now that we have the laser, it is surprising how the ground can fool you. This last fall I found myself debating about which way was uphill until I shot the laser line. Now we can do reverse grade without a worry as long as we plan ahead for enough cover over the tile. Having a laser is a huge stress reducer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)