AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Infant CPR
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/8/2012 09:01 (#2213364 - in reply to #2213197)
Subject: RE: ATTN: Protocols have changed in the past few years!!

West Union, Illinois

I agree with balefire - I would encourage everyone, even if you have taken CPR in the past, to retake the course. Its a whole lot different than it used to be! 

I just finished a First Responder course.  There is talk of a new protocol for single person CPR, saying not to worry about breathing!  It is a bit controversial, even among those who are supposed to know these things.  See a comment at http://firstaid.about.com/od/cpr/a/07_Y_no_breaths.htm

An excerpt from above:

The push to remove mouth to mouth from CPR has been controversial in the world of CPR training. The idea is gaining ground; the American Heart Association now recommends hands-only CPR -- skipping rescue breathing -- for untrained rescuers who see a victim collapse in front of them.

Those who have been trained for years often resist the change. Emergency care providers, from the CPR certified to the EMT to the ER doctor, have been indoctrinated in the ABCs of emergency care:

1. Airway
  2. Breathing
  3. Circulation
    in that order.

We've all been taught to make sure the victim has an airway first, and if the victim is not breathing, to breathe air into the victim with mouth-to-mouth. Only then, if the victim does not have a pulse or signs of circulation, should we compress the chest to pump blood through the body.

The thinking is a little flawed. A look at how the body is designed helps illustrate why our approach to CPR up to now has been a bit backward.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)