AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To be or not to be LLC.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Posted 1/31/2012 12:50 (#2197039 - in reply to #2195620)
Subject: RE: about seeing an accountant v. lawyer

Eastern, IN
iseedit - 1/30/2012 19:55

bdsjake - 1/30/2012 17:26

jakescia - 1/30/2012 13:54
re the use of attorneys..........merely my personal experiences...........after over 35 yrs of being involved with income taxes/preparation/structuring, etc., with the exception of a bonafide, practicing TAX attorney, or an attorney heavy into estate work and with respect to solely estate laws..........I have yet to meet an attorney who knew squat about income tax law and what structures a business should use for best ongoing treatment under 

I absolutely agree with this, tax is a unique area.  There is a flip side though, based merely on my experience after 18 years as lawyer, that most accountants know very little if anything (that is, less than squat) about the law, e.g., establishing a corporation or LLC.  E.g. (and state laws vary, keep that in mind) some accountants in Missouri will advise a client to set up an LLC online, it can be done for $50 I think online, v. $105 by mail plus attorney fee. BUT they fail to mention to the prospective LLC owner that to meet all legalities for a lawful LLC they need an operating agreement. OOPS! its usually a simple document that shouldn't cost too much, and a decent lawyer will include as part of a package to set up an LLC, but without it, it may allow someone to "pierce the corporate veil" as they say and there goes one good reason for an LLC, liabilty protection. Also, they may forget to mention not commingling funds in a bank account, changing letterhead, etc, etc.

Bottom line, for accounting advice, see an accountant, for tax advice see someone trained in tax whether accountant or lawyer, for legal advice, see a lawyer!

Yes . . . Good points. But, that liability part - doesn't matter, most competent lawyers will go after personal just because and to cover all the bases. They have nothing to lose and it hits two birds with one stone. Then it's up to the LLC to prove otherwise. Consider additional umbrella insurance. You would need that expense for the LLC anyway.

Chris, someone can sue your LLC if the company (your LLC) was negligent. They can not sue you personally unless they can find you personally negligent or can prove your LLC was not a legitimate business. I own an Old feed elevator and have it set-up as an LLC. Totally separate company, check book, taxes, insurance and accounting. If the EPA ever finds contamination on the property, they can not come after me personally unless they can prove that I personally was responsible for the contamination. They can however sue and get a judgment against the LLC. That is why they call it Limited Liability Company. The owners of the company have limited liability.

Edited by 2388 1/31/2012 12:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)