AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A conservative view on vacations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 1/24/2012 09:57 (#2182586 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: RE: A conservative view on vacations

North of London
So I am an old guy who did a lot of what you say.
We are going to take a 14 day vacation in what is not a cheap location.
Been there before, enjoyed it and so are going back.
We did take vacations when kids were younger, getting to both coasts of our country Canada.
Looked at it as a learning experience for the kids but we budgeted that in and it was a time when the farm was bringing in a little extra $$ so we still kept farming on line to build and pay down debt.
Left us with no debt when I became old enough to collect pensions which we also contributed to as we worked in our younger years. We also own our land with no mortgage left by the time I turned 60. That is when we took our first real vacation at an expensive location.

Managed a few trips to different places in US through the years for short times but always as a busmans holiday since there was business tied to them. So no need to go back there Florida, Arizona and California plus a couple of other areas not usually considered for vacation.
Like Bermuda now 4th trip coming up.

So what you are pointing out is there are different ways to live a life.
Some save and some spend. there is a balance and it is hard to achieve for many.
Some savers never spend and some spenders can not save and always on the edge or going over.

It is nice to have resources as you age but eventually what you do not spend your children will get a chance to do it for you.

A former school friend just sold his farm. Land brought 2 million plus whatever they had from liquid assets.
Bought a new house in a small town.
They raised 3 kids and put them through universities. Says they never had any money to spend on themselves before and hardly know what to do with it now.

We still have not cashed in the land, need a hobby. Guess we are still saving.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)