AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Blue (or other) piston pump on corn planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tigger
Posted 1/14/2012 09:54 (#2161124)
Subject: John Blue (or other) piston pump on corn planter?

Iowa

Can you get an even flow of five gallons per acre of starter fertilizer from one of the smaller John Blue piston pumps (or other positive displacement pump)?   I like to put about five gallons per acre with the seed. 

Many years ago, I had a ground driven Hypro diaphragm pump for that purpose.  It would apply the right amount per acre (5 gallons), but did not have an even flow rate.  The flow would pulsate with each revolution of the pump.  An accumulator in the line did not seem to help much.  Every few feet, most of the corn seedlings would go from getting too much starter to getting almost no starter.  Perhaps the accumulator was too small to compensate for the displacement of the pump.  It's been a long time, so I don't remember the exact size of the pump.  It was capable of applying up to 60 gallons per acre with faster sprockets.

I've tried several different setups since then.  The small, 12 volt electric pumps have been doing the job for the last few years.  They are low cost and do a nice job, but I'd like to get away from the electrical issues.

If you are using one of the smaller John Blue pumps on the planter, how is it working for you?          

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)