AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NARROWING A JD 7000 PLANTER
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/14/2012 13:30 (#2161487 - in reply to #2161435)
Subject: Been there done that.

Been there done that. There is no shorter bar or cable. I didn't need to sneak between trees either. There's more to shorten that just the main tube and the left marker cable. There's also the fertilizer bar and that steel hydraulic tube inside.

I narrowed the wheel frame and moved the row units closer, had to drill a new hole in the hex main shaft to move the driven sprocket to the new wheel location.

narrowed wheel frame

The markers are shorter, but they can't be shortened enough to be at the tractor middle, but hit the far tractor front wheel track which on my tractor is a much more precise spot to see and my guess rows are not detectable. That's the way the factory narrow planter works too.

I had to replace that steel tube for the marker, mice nests rotted a hole in it. There were none available from the factory and 4 years ago, only 2 in dealer parts in the whole US. I coated the new one with Black Jack roof tar to slow the rotting in the future. I recall it was a pain to get that steel tube in place.

I used the plow coulters and ammonia knives to put down 32% 2-1/2" from the row and to cut straw so the trash whippers could separate it nicely. Fully no till.

Gerald J.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)