AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tillage radish stink
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 1/7/2012 16:52 (#2148513 - in reply to #2147546)
Subject: RE: tillage radish stink--- Ok, you now have my attention.........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

First......there are several neighbors that need to understand what "payback" is.........

Second...........a quick review of google cites indicates that maybe radishes would work in Iowa.........I always thought the seed was prohibitively expensive, and we were too far north to really utilize the radish.............sounds like more guys are using it.

Sounds as if.............

seeding......... can be seeded into standing soybeans BEFORE canopy ???, by say, a highboy broadcaster........or would that be too early and would damage the soybeans??   Result would be only flying it on?

manure application after seeding..........sounds as if could combine the soybeans, then apply with injectors hog slurry????   would probably damage some of the radishes........but overall benefits as cover crop should still be worth the effort??

If aerially seeded in say, mid Sept...........and applied slurry on the bean ground for oncoming corn crop in say......late Oct thru mid Nov........that would be about 30-60 days, and that sounds as if the radish crop would be well on the way to maturity???   so, if lost a few, even 25%, would not do major damage to the objective??

I would guess that the root system would just be the tap root, and therefore injectors would not get balled up???

How much does the seed cost?
How many pounds per acre?
Websites indicated about 3.00 per lb, and 5lbs for cover crop purposes for "Groundhog" brand/variety................that's pretty expensive for cover crops.
And, 15. per acre could buy some N...........obviously not quantifying other benefits .

Lastly...........I assume the stinking comes from the rotting, which would start about, say, December????

And, it would hopefully last for several months.........so the neighbors would learn that payback is a bitch!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)