AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any one putting on 28% with a culivator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 5/30/2006 07:08 (#15877 - in reply to #15758)
Subject: RE: any one putting on 28% with a culivator?

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
Matt,

We use to put 28% on with our cultivator. We had a Hiniker cultivator that put the nitrogen within about seven inches or so from each side of the corn row. We would put forty pounds of actual N on with the planter and the balance of our needs with the cultivator. If you have a lot of acres to cover, it sometimes can be risky, as to whether you can get all your nitrogen on in a timely manner. Since we went to fifteen inch row corn, obviously it would be difficult to put our nitrogen needs on with a cultivator. We now put all our nitrogen on with the planter. You asked, if you would be able to put less nitrogen on, because it would be closer to the row as compared to anhydrous in the middle of the row. Personally, I don't think so. I don't think the distance from the corn row makes much difference for nitrogen application when the corn is ten inches tall or taller. However, I do think you can use less total nitrogen in your program by banding versus broadcasting. By our experience, I'm quite convinced of that. The same amount of nitrogen, as urea, broadcasted just prior to planting, will not yield as much for me, as 28%, applied in a narrow band on my planter. Personally, I can get by with at least ten percent less nitrogen if I band the nitrogen as compared to broadcasting it.

best of luck with your decision, gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)