AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anybody built own egress window well?and cover?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 1/6/2012 18:54 (#2146849 - in reply to #2146047)
Subject: RE: We do over 50 Egress wells annually

Tommy,

Appreciate your post,,I really do, heres my dilema

My window is a 36 wide by 48 tall casement,,,about 36 inch of height is below grade and 12 inch above grade. I completely forgot about the window crank out space when open hitting the cover part. So I think I would need 3 sections of that well cor and that might look ugly sticking out of ground,,,but better than other options.

When trying to dig thru solid gravel swimming in my hole today I came a hair away from buying those. Problem is top is 4 " out from bottom because of brick and a foot of angle in between where corbel block is.

This is in the city and IS an inspected build(can I say picky inspectors to boot). Was going to leave any cover off for now unless that isnt code. House has been sitting in a hole with solid gravel backfill down to drain tile 2 foot from house with NO gutters or downspouts yet. No sump pump in pit as we just got electricity and heat. Basement walls were damp after big rains, but no water inside and none in sump pit that I know of. Average we are 10-12 inches of rain less than Iowa,,,but we all know about averages,,,it still rains hard and big 'sometimes'

Thinking was 3 treated for ground contact(much more treated) 2 bye 12's or 4 10's using Vulcan between and plastic over that, then dont need a ladder,BUT will need a domed hood on top to keep trash out and water but let window swing.

I can still change my mind, nothing bought yet but need to decide by weekend which way I am going. the 4 inch offset wall and cost of 3 sections plus lid times two makes me pucker a little on the wellcor but its what I really prefer. convince me with it sticking out of ground a foot some kid wont break it up with a ball bat!!!If I were living there it is safe, but unknown's????

thanks again!!!!!-d-
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)