AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gold Fever?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

davpal
Posted 1/1/2012 22:52 (#2137790 - in reply to #2136738)
Subject: RE: Gold Fever?

Mid Michigan
Anybody else think they over complicate things? There has been day after day where they put no dirt through anything. Sometimes I think two guys with a mini excavator and a ford 9n with a dirt scoop on the back could run much more dirt than they do. Maybe a small Kubota 4wd loader tractor instead of $150,000 dollar payloader. Even two guys with shovels and a couple of pans could probably do more. Then you have the 17 year old who is spending $100,000 dollars to get $14,000 in gold. I think they go way overboard on equipment for what they're doing. All them big loaders are fine until they break. Then when the break 6 guys stand around and 1 guy fixes it. Is there only one guy who can fix a broken bolt on a hydraulic line? They did the same thing welding that filter. 1 partially crippled guy trying to weld in that tube. I felt like saying give me the damn welder. Why didn't anybody weld that for him? And those large machines use huge amounts of fuel. If you have to get 80 oz of gold to break even maybe you shot at too high of a target to begin with. I think if you took about 3 or 4 guys and built a mini wash plant and used smaller affordable tractors it would be just as good or better of an experience. I have a lot of relatives in Alaska but none of them have called with the idea to stake a claim yet! Maybe they know enough that have tried and failed to know it's a heck of a gamble. I think it would be a heck of an experience and living out there would be a once in a lifetime thing to do. I'd probably never come back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)