AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dairy farmers who use tmr's to feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 8/12/2007 04:49 (#186174 - in reply to #185672)
Subject: RE: dairy farmers who use tmr's to feed

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I agree with everything said in these posts. You need to look at milking procedures too. Who is doing the milking, and how. The best thing I ever did was add a iodine wash sanitizer line in barn to be able to wash milking claws in between cows. You might have one cow come in barn with mastitis, but if milker doesn't prep cows right it spreads to others ( I've had one hiredman spread it to 20 cows at a time). I tracked him, he only milked one day a week, and the next day boom, always a cow or two with mastitis.

Also when I had a highline milk line we had over 15" vac. to run, and dairy supply company switched me to a all natural rubber liners, told me they milked faster, they did do that. But every three weeks my mastitis flared up. I told liner rep. about it, he told me not to use those on highlines, they would break down before recomended change time. Also look at putting in auto matt. takeoffs in if you don't have them, they help every cow to be milked the same.

After all equipment has been checked, and milking procedures are fixed, then test all the cows, and pull all high SCC cows out of bulk tank for a couple of milkings. If counts go down, SELL THE COWS that are high! They will just spread it to your good cows over time.

I've even seen dairies have a stray voltage problem too that caused mastitis. You just need to get a check list and start at the top and go though it.

Good Luck!

Edited by Russ In Idaho 8/12/2007 04:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)