AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hobbits, bean seed that is.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 12/1/2011 08:52 (#2078393 - in reply to #2078212)
Subject: Re: Hobbits, bean seed that is.

IIRC, Hobbitts were a semi-dwarf bean. I grew them a couple years. Some of the best yielding beans I ever raised but they were a determinate bean so if something goes wrong in the growing season it could be a disaster (hope I'm thinking of the right bean). 1st yr got along fine.2nd yr they were hit by hail and had a lot of cutoffs, over 50% when they were small. They ended up podding right on the ground basically at the height they were when the hail it. Also, because of the reduced pops from the hail they got a lot of black nightshade in them To harvest them I practically had to run the reel in the ground and at a high speed, and very slow ground speed basically knocking the pods off the stems with the reel as I couldn't get the cutterbar low enough to keep from cutting thru the pods.

Insurance company had no idea how to adjust them. Claimed there was enough stand left and that I had planted them way too thick. I had to get an agronomist from Purdue write them a letter stating they were semi-dwarfs and thus needed a higher population, PU recommended 300,000, than a regular beans and to explain the difference between determinate & non-determinate beans.

Even though they were my best yielding beans both years I never raised them again after all the problems the 2nd yr. Hope I'm thinking of the right bean as it was in the early '80s
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)