AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

starter behind press wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

denny-o
Posted 12/1/2011 11:39 (#2078705 - in reply to #2078353)
Subject: Re: starter behind press wheels

Michigan - Saginaw County
I read a University study (sorry now that I didn't save it) that compared various placements of starter fertilizer... The biggest point I retained from the paper is that there is no yield difference between putting the starter in the furrow with the seed and in putting it on top of the soil over the seed after closing the furrow...
There was a drop in yield for placing the starter 2X2 and also for putting it deeper below the seed in the furrow line... (note the yield loss at 2X2 was for starter, not for side dress N)
The bottom line seems to be that the very first root from the seed wants to find 'P-K and some N' in contact with it right from day one to give us the most bang for the buck from starter and then the side roots want to find additional N once they reach out 2 inches...

I am putting liquid starter on my planter and I keep agonizing between putting the starter in furrow (more $$) versus dribbling it on top (worry about dry weather)... Perhaps on top with a drag chain might be the best compromise... The side dress N will go 2x2...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)