AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trash Wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hartwig
Posted 12/1/2011 01:46 (#2078156 - in reply to #2076970)
Subject: Re: Trash Wheels

Jim,
it is certainly not a no-brainer, but I see no other possibility to establish oilseed-rape under conditions like that in no-till here. When wheat harvest is early and dry there are some possibilities (stripper heading, baling, raking,...) and maybe option for reseeding, but when conditions are as described, there`s only one possibility and one try.
The drill has to be built home-made from bought sections (frame, hopper, row cleaner, coulters), so I can maybe get old coulters from a Kuhn SD and use them for more precise seeding depth than just dripping the seed on the soil and roll it in if it becomes dry, which was another idea combined with a bit more soil movement by any tool. But with a double.disc coulter I think it could be enough to have bare soil and the trash wheels just ripping up some soil ?!? If it is dry enough, I would like to run a wavy disc in front of the coulter to make some more soil movement in line, if that would smear I have to lift the discs and go just with the coulter.
A row planter-unit would be too expensive for my small acreage, but certainly nice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)