AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Till on peat marsh?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cz4586
Posted 12/1/2011 07:25 (#2078254 - in reply to #2077494)
Subject: RE: No Till on peat marsh?

NE Indiana
I have Yetter spike tooth row cleaners that mount on the row units. They're fixed ones, I've never tried floating ones, it looks to me like they would start plowing when the going gets soft.

When the row units start pushing and plugging up with residue for me it's usually because the planter is sinking and running too low. The tires will be cutting in 6 or 8 inches and the frame of the planter is too close to the ground, the row units can't float up any higher on the parallel arms, and they start plowing. I'm running an 8 row JD 1750 and it has 4 tires. Not enough floatation. I run the planter up manually with the hydraulics, watching the parallel arms I can see until they're running parallel or just slightly downhill from front to back.

This is the only time I've ever wished I had auto-steer, so I could sit turned around watching the planter and manually controlling the height.

Another problem I had causing the row units to plug was muck would get between the gauge wheels and the opening disks and pack the gauge wheels full so they couldn't turn. I put on the R K Products pivot arm kit on the gauge wheels so they would run truer to the opening disk and put scrapers on the opening disks. That has really helped reduce that problem. I'd like to try some of the open spoked gauge wheels to see if that would prevent muck from building up inside the gauge wheels, but they're so pricey I've haven't done it.

We have liquid fertilizer tanks on the planter, 280 gallons altogether. I only put about 100 gallons in at time in the muck. The extra weight of full tanks really makes it worse. I'm putting on starter in-furrow with Keetons. Those have worked good for me. I got tired of fighting with units to put starter on in a 2 x 2 configuration. I never found anything that wasn't constantly plugging.

Edited by cz4586 12/1/2011 07:32

(plugged.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments plugged.jpg (83KB - 43 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)