AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Purina cattle feed.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

greenpower
Posted 10/25/2011 21:39 (#2019521)
Subject: Purina cattle feed.......

N/E Iowa
I recently switched from our local feed mill feed (Hubbard feed) to Purina feed to feed our feeder cattle. We wean around 400 pds, and then put them on a cement lot and finish them out. I have a small heard of 34 Angus cows. The question i'm wondering about is have any of you out there fed Purina feed? This stuff is called "Acuration starter" and then finisher will come about about around 750 pds.
The pellet in the bags seem to be ground up and soft, and the calves seem to "eat around the protien" to get to the corn. It seem to build up in the smidley feeder and then the calves back away from it, and eat more loose hay. Am i doing something wrong? I have complained that this problem will be an issue when the cold wet weather hits..... It's called frozen feed feeding out of the feeder!! Atleast with Hubbard feed protien was a hard pellet that didn't break down so easy.

I would still be with hubbard feed, but the local mill closed there doors after 50 plus years in the buisness:( I topped the sale barn many times finishing fats on Hubbard........ I'm hoping Purina doesn't let me down!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)