AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cow stuck in mud
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 10/24/2011 21:27 (#2018163 - in reply to #2017764)
Subject: Re: cow stuck in mud

Faunsdale, AL
A good time to locate the nearest cow float tank. The best way to lift a down cow. You won't fix all of them, but you won't hurt any of them that are consious enough to keep their head above water.

If you want to use hip lifts, then you need to have the cow restrained so if everything works right and she gets on her feet, you can get the lift off her without her fighting you and falling back down when she takes off with it still on etc. Once you get it off, gradually open up some area around her so she can move around. A few portable panels works good

Same applies for the float tanks. They have to be able to walk out of it and onto good solid footing without "making a break for it" and tripping on the sill etc.

All this works better on tame cows, but sometimes the tame ones don't have the "fight" they need to make it. I remember an old Charlais cross cow up in Virgina that had been in that spot so long she had dug a hole. I started giving her stuff and she got up and chased me around the truck before I got the last half of my various syringes of drugs in her! That's the kind of cow you need to be working on!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)