AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-Till Pasture Seeding (PICS)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 10/23/2011 22:20 (#2017067 - in reply to #2016854)
Subject: Re: No-Till Pasture Seeding (PICS)

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
If you don't mind me asking, Why spend so much money if your not starting from scratch? People around here are planting winter cereals into drought killed pasture. But the old pasture still has 1-2 fescue or equivilant plants per square foot, alont with some weed pressure. Around here there is no way the seedling fescue or cereals will compete with those mature plants this winter/ early next spring. Sure they will survive and make more grass next fall, but the majority of grass produced next spring will be the mature plants while the seedlings struggle to hang on instead of make tons.
Im not calling you out in your situation, Im just on a mini rant. Im just so tired of guys spending good money and planting things into there existing pastures around here and those plants never survive or make any tonnage because they are trying to compete with established plants. yet the number one thing I here is "I think Im going to try planting something in my pastures this fall instead of applying N because N is so high these days" Well the N will just grow more grass if you put it on and the new seedling your planting with just be N deficicent while trying to compete. More N deficent plants per acre do not grow more grass. Ive grown six to seven ton of grass with 2 plants per square foot and 200lbs of N, everyone else around is doing the opposite and growing no grass. In the last couple days Ive been asked by more than one guy why the wheat he planted into his pastures wasn't doing as good as my wheat fields. I want to cry.
But the drill looks like its doing a really nice job! Hopefully in two and half weeks you can show us some more pictures :) What kind of snake oil did you trade him? What kind of snake oil do you recommend for chains. Im currently using 00 grease on some high speed chains. Nothing else will stay on and the stuff in a spray can is too expensive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)