AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bud box
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lynn
Posted 10/23/2011 23:13 (#2017187 - in reply to #2016491)
Subject: Re: bud box

NE IA
You could put a gate there, but really it should not be needed if your alley is constructed in such a way that cattle will enter it freely or you aren't trying to put to many in the alleyway at once. The bud box was designed by a man that learned and desired to move cattle with as little force as possible. That said it does not mean we need to make it slow and complicated. If you learned to always walk on a crutch and never gave it up it would seem cumbersome to someone who didn't use one, it's the same with all the gates and pressure devices we want to place in our cattle facilities. If you can train yourself to move the cattle from as far away as possible and keep some flow going until they have put themselves in single file restraining device you have, the better for you and the cattle. I feeel one of the things we all do is build our alley and holding pen before the single file alley to narrow and small. IMO these pens need to be at" least "14 feet wide. If your handling wild cattle it needs to be 16' to 18' and you need to have a step through spot [for you to slip through to the outside of the pen ]close to the rear of the single file or double file alley way so that you can move that wild animal into the chute , from outside of the pen. Teach youself to handle the cattle in such away as to help the crazy one get what it really wants which is out of this confined space with you nearby and to someplaced saferer feeling. If you watch the crazy and pay attention to when it is ready to go and encourage it to go it will run over the other cattle to be able to go first and you really don't have to be close. When you really need the gate is when the family pet 4-H project refuses to go in or holstein steer with no flight zone at all. If you use the gate on a crazy there is the chance you will be run over by a gate and the animal. Another thing we want to do is put more cattle in the holding pen than we have single or double alley capacity to hold causing the cattle that don't get in to be wound up more than they would had they had the opportunity to come up calmly and enter the alley and be away from you or the handlers for a moment. I don't know if I helped much so put the gate there and see if you don't find it cumbersome after while. Here's to hoping I made some sense and the hinges get rusty on that gate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)