AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House Windows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 10/17/2011 17:19 (#2007924 - in reply to #2007589)
Subject: RE: House Windows?

central - east central Minnesota -

lawfarms - 10/17/2011 08:26 What brands of windows does everyone like? Pella's are nice but like $17500 for the house....grills in the glass, 350 series My contractor rep at menards told me what ever brand of window you buy but there top of the line window, all mfgs make a good window and a cheap window. Any brands to stay away from? Please note brand and series or model...

Both Anderson and Marvin offer a very energy effecient window in standard sizes and a few color trim types ( very good windows at a very competive priceing). A lumber yard that handles them will know the series number. I would not consider windows from the box stores - they get a cheaper window- cheaper in sealing material, frames and glass thickness.
One thing to consider with windows is the sealing system. A casement window will give the best seal (more energy efficent). A good way to save some additional money and add character to the house, is to use the casement's cousion - awning windows (opening/closing mech like a casement). Order picture type windows and stack the awning on top or place it at the bottom of the fixed glass window. Gives a person fresh air options, is very energy efficient. Nothing beats a fixed glass window for efficency-
Do a bit of googleing and see what the efficiency standards are for windows and compare them.
I have lots of windows in my home - fixed glass as much as possible. I like to feel like I'm outside, when in a house (lots of windows and light).
Another consideration - if you / wife are adamant about curtins or shades being shut all the time - don't waste money on windows. Then you will save even more money, not having to buy window dressing/treatments.
It's a pet peeve of mine - why pay good money for windows - then pay a bunch more money to close / hide the window?  It's a city thing, where house's are right next to each other and it's neccessary for modisty reasons to pull the shades . . . . . well, why bother putting in a window ?  Not needed in the country . . .  .

Edited by iseedit 10/17/2011 21:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)