AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another quesion on 30" vs narrow beans: notill north of I-90
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 10/17/2011 06:15 (#2007367 - in reply to #2006442)
Subject: RE: no difference in tissue tests

Dave F - 10/16/2011 13:18 Anyone here have any bean yield data comparing narrow rows to 30" rows for notill in northern areas? I usually plant 1.6-2.1 maturity and target May 10 planting date. The past two seasons, my beans really struggle early in the season and appears to be residue related. The picture from this June shows what happened when I tried row cleaners on the 20" splitter planter, the back row units covered the row with trash. I'm wondering how much yield this residue related delay is costing? Should go back to the corn planter and 30" rows where the row cleaners won't bury the adjacent rows with trash? I don't have the yield data for this year yet but "seat of the combine" data shows the 25 acres experiment planted before the corn was better than the later planting dates. If I had to plant right now, I'm leaning towards a trial of 20% of the ground in 30" rows and the balance in the 20" with the same row cleaner problem. thanks Edit: the beans in the photo were tissue tested 3 different spots, 6 tests total, and no significant differences were noted.

The main reason for no difference in the tissue tests is likely the dilution effect -- whatever nutrient was limiting the growth of both rows/treatments, so the concentration was the same in each.  Another possibility is that you forgot to have the lab test for one or more of the essential nutrients -- i.e, 'Super Complete' (or whatever) often doesn't mean what it says.  Sometimes gotta specifically request things like moly, B, Cl, etc.

best regards,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)