AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High nitrate and prussic acid concerns in sorgham grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mpdrover
Posted 9/20/2011 23:15 (#1971849)
Subject: High nitrate and prussic acid concerns in sorgham grazing

North Central Kansas

I have two questions about grazing sorgham, but want to give as much information first so you all know what conditions I am talking about.  We want to graze some pairs on cover crop that we drilled into wheat stubble.   We put 40 to 50 pounds of N on prior to drilling the cover crop.  It is a mixture of millet, forage peas, radishes  and turnips.  There is also some sedan, and of coarse there is some volunteer wheat as well.  We have had some hot and dry conditions, but have also had some timely rains so the crop has not really bean stunted by drought so I’m not too worried about high nitrate levels (I don’t think).  My main concern is with the prussic acid levels and cyanide poisoning.  I have been told that it is best to let your sorgrams reach the height of two feet before they are safe to graze.  Currently the millet ranges from 12”-18”.  The sedan is over 2’ tall.  These cattle will have access to the pasture as well so they will be able to consume some dry matter with this.  So, should I be concerned?  Have any of you grazed millet?  This is our first year doing this and would like to do more of it if it is safe.  Any comments or suggestions?

I also have some sedan grass that I want to hay.  This too was double cropped in after wheat.  It has had a yellow color to it from early on and is shorter in places.  The good stuff is green and is heading, but the shorter stuff is yellow like it has been lacking N.  We put 50 pounds on after wheat harvest but shortly after we planted it we go 5” of rain.  I’m thinking that took most the N causing the yellow shot stuff.  I’m assuming I won’t have to worry about nitrate levels?  Am I wrong with this assumption?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)