AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frozen Navy Beans... What to expect???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Crop Walker
Posted 9/17/2011 09:41 (#1966109 - in reply to #1965709)
Subject: RE: Frozen Navy Beans... What to expect???

Central Ontario

I think the green beans will stay green.
I,m sure you are aware the green beans will come out as PICK at the receiver. The biggest problem is you don't just lose the weight but there is significant PICK charges for the processor to remove the discoloured beans.

I remember years ago a long time bean grower said to leave the the bottom door of the tailings elevator open. Lets the unthreshed green pods fall on the ground instead of going around and around the seperating system and end up in the tank.

Your going to need some perfect sunny days to combine to  prevent mud tagging in the combine from the moisture that is going to come from the green beans.

You likely know not to fill your grain tank above where the fountain auger dumps into the bin.

Sounds like they are short of beans so hopefully who ever you have them contracted with will work with you.

Did it freeze hard enough to kill the stems?  Preharvest Roundup isn't going to do much if there is no leaves left to uptake the Roundup.  Haven't used any Reglone for so many years not sure if it would help to dry up the stems faster or not if the frost hasn't completely shut the plant down.

Unfortunate situation, wish you the best dealing with it.

Steve

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)