AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ever seen a drill like this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Doug W
Posted 9/11/2011 17:35 (#1957506 - in reply to #1956878)
Subject: RE: ever seen a drill like this?

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Hi Joel:

As someone else mentioned - looks like a newer JD 730 Air-Disk drill. We just bought one from a small dealer that specializes in them in Manitoba - he's been niche marketing them up in Canada.

I've been looking for one for several years - we used to use a field-cultivator based air seeder - but I was hoping for a bit better emergence and canopy with the 730. Just finished seeding fall rye with ours for the first time use...

They seem to be a high maintenance machine - & its less forgiving on seedbed prep than I was hoping - but it appears that for a small grain organic guy it might work well...

There is another version of the same concept being marketed by Salford over in Russia - apparently they use a heavier cultivator - and a no-till opener on the back... The story the Salford reps told me was that the farmers in the Former Soviet Union aren't necessarily interested in organics - but that they have very limited access to herbicides, so they needed a seeding tool to maximize weed kill, and fast crop emergence...

FWIW

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)