AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Red Angus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 7/10/2007 22:00 (#172731 - in reply to #172673)
Subject: Re: Red Angus

Western Nebraska
Well, it depends on what the "some extra" is. If it is around the $400 mark you sure wouldn't buy papered replacement quality heifers for that here in western Nebraska. What you cross onto them really depends on what the desired end result is. If you are going to want to keep calves I would give serious thought to keeping them straight bred. For their first calf I would probably go with a low bw, calving ease bull. I would keep them straight bred their first year just so you can use some proven AI sires. We are in the process of choosing our AI bulls for heifers and one of the best EPDs for breeding on heifers is Above and Beyond out of the ABS catalog. He isn't a real growthy bull but the data looks excellent for first calf heifers. Once they have had a calf then I would start thinking about cross breeding if you decide to go that way. From our own experience the best crossbreeding programs have been a Hereford or Saler cross. You have to be real picky about the bulls you use to get your Saler cross, but some of the best cows we ever had were a quarter Saler and the rest RA. They were extremely hardy and long lasting in the herd. You have to be real careful about their disposition though. The red baldy cross is also an excellent maternal cross and the growth you get on the initial calf is an added bonus.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)