AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

smoke test of soil porosity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

haselmanag
Posted 9/8/2011 10:05 (#1952307 - in reply to #1951676)
Subject: RE: smoke test of soil porosity

NW Ohio
I have a client of mine who saw Frank Gibbs do this experiment about 2 years ago and then decided to build his own machine to help find and identify where old tile lines are and run. After many hours and tinkering and trying different designs and setups he now uses an industrial aircommressor and a modified pipe to hold the smoke tubes and with various hoses and inflateable tile plugs he now can fit most any size tile up to 12 outlets. The smoke tubes he uses are the same ones they use in fire house training builds. He has used his setup multiple times in located old drainage tilelines and which way to go. The correct moisture of the soil is very critical as to how far the smoke will travel. Also you need a very strong air flow in order to get far distances. He has been able to track a tile line nearly a half mile in perfect moisture conditions. With all the time spent tinkering and cost of smoke tubes its not very economical but is a useful tool to help locate where unknow tiles may run. I'll have to post some pics later when I get time maybe this fall when he gets it out again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)