AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

crop share
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PRNDL
Posted 9/7/2011 23:12 (#1951739 - in reply to #1951387)
Subject: RE: crop share

Texas & western Iowa
I'm a landowner with a crop share agreement that seems simple enough and that we're both happy with. It's basically the old 50/50 agreement I guess you could say. This is in western Iowa btw.

There's no written agreement. Never has been. He's farmed my family's place all his life and his dad before him. He lives on the place and looks out for things since I can't be there. I'm darn lucky to have him, and I'm more concerned about his well being than mine. When it comes to decisions about how the farm operates, I step back and let him do his thing.

Other than this year (with the flood along the river) the place has always provided some income to help in my retirement. I don't know if one of us is getting the better end of the deal or not. If so, I hope it's him.

Our system works like this:
He provides the equipment, labor, and half the inputs (seed, fertilizer, etc). I pay the property taxes and insurance and the other half of the inputs. We split the crops 50/50. Once the crops are hauled to the elevator, he gives me a call. I market my share of the crops, and he markets his. He's better at this than I am so I always ask his advice.

Nice having someone that you know is going to take care of the land, mend fences, clear downed trees and such. He always gives a call on issues that I should know about.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)