AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lawn crop - new grass seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/8/2011 08:37 (#1952165 - in reply to #1951170)
Subject: RE: Lawn crop - new grass seeding

central - east central Minnesota -

SamsDad - 9/7/2011 18:50

I seeded some grass on about an acre or so two Saturdays ago(11 days).  A lot of it is coming up well, but there are places where it's hardly coming at all.  It was pretty hard, but had some loose dirt on top.  The best areas are where a large tree shades it and where I spread some straw in high runoff areas.  Spread the seed and ran a cultimulcher over it a few times.  I have watered a lot and have had 3 perfect rains on it since then.  Question is, would it damage the new seeding if I pulled a mulcher section over it again while it was damp to try and get some seed/soil contact or just keep the water to it and see how it goes?  Grass seed ain't cheap, don't really want to do this again! 

If the ground isn't muddy - it will not hurt to roll over it again. Don't want any seed being pulled up with mud/soil on the little tabs on the roller.
Keeping the ground moist should work also. New seedings need moist soil every minute. Don't let the top get dry. It's not uncommon to see clear plastic used to help hold moisture and get the seed germed quicker, in the city. Using a thin layer of straw over those ungermed spots would be ok also . ..  .

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)