AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This will be seen only here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/30/2011 06:08 (#1937303 - in reply to #1936794)
Subject: Re: This will be seen only here

West Union, Illinois

Skipper - if blending gets more "ears" in the house I'm all for it.
I had a talk with Edith about it one time.  She was one of our senior members, a widow whose husband had been an elder for a lot longer than I had been attending that church ... and that was over 25 years at the time. She said, "I really don't care for this new music.  But the kids do (from her perspective kids = age 40 and under) and I sure like them being here."

I think the key to it ... and this is tough to do because it is an attitude ajustment for many ... is to make worship not about music style but content.  Don't make it a decision of whether we play Fanny Crosby or Bill Gaither.  Worship is timeless.  It should  include everything from Martin Luther to Michael Card, full orchestra to Bluegrass.

One problem (in my opinion) most "worship leaders" have is they want to perform instead of lead.  Many of the arrangements for contemporary music are set up for a performance, with the leader doing a solo and musical interludes in the song.  They entertain instead of teach. The leader should be leading the congregation in corporate worship, not performing an act. 

I really dislike it when we use "video music" instead of live.  Maybe I should change that.  I have no problem with it, but our people do not respond well to it.  They stop and watch it.  They don't participate.  I thnk it is more of a generational difference.  The younger folks will sing with it, the older folks set and watch.

Edited by Mike SE IL 8/30/2011 06:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)