AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Go to court vs Don't go to court????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 8/29/2011 21:31 (#1936669 - in reply to #1936226)
Subject: RE: Seat belts vs Brakes

Jon Hagen - 8/29/2011 15:04

"There is a difference between laws that protect others from you vs a law that is to protect you from yourself." Try this for a law protecting others from you. You refuse to wear your seatbelt, get in a crash which results in you paralized from the neck down or pretty much brain dead. You will spend the rest of your life in a nursing home. You have a wife and 3 young kids. When your money runs out, you and likely your family will live on public assistance, you for life and your family for a good number of years. Me and every other tax payer has to pay your public assistance bill for an open ended number of years, that hurts all of us because of something you neglected / refused to do, while a simple click of the seat belt would have likely left you healthy and productive for life. Driving is a dangerous job that can disable or kill you. I think the public who has to pay the bill if you screw up, has the right to demand that you do this dangerous job in the safest way possible, IE ,wear your seat belt at all times while driving.

Whats to say I wouldn't be dead without wearing the seat belt and wearing the seat belt would result in me being alive in the nursing home as you describe?

Then there is also the point that if we're going to go the route of whether the public is going to have to pay for the unintended consequences we should probably ban entirely cigarettes and alcohol, kids to those who don't have money, any sort of activity such as small planes/race cars/motorcyclyes that is dangerous, etc.

I understand your point but I don't think it is a very good argument unless a lot of other things are looked at under the same scrutiny.

Edited by Kooiker 8/29/2011 21:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)