AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on Corn & tillage in compacted cattle lane; CoC tillage depth (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/13/2011 19:36 (#1910690 - in reply to #1910593)
Subject: Re: Corn on Corn & tillage in compacted cattle lane; CoC tillage depth (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Dave,

You mention this Chopping cornhead-Aerway-Mulchmaster "WAS" your system. I assume this was in continuous corn? May I ask what is your current system? 

Since the Mulchmaster does not move residue out of the way but incorporates what is left in the spring I can see where you might over time have residue buildup problems.

I know some very successful, very high yielding corn on corn central Illinois customers who use a system of chopping corn head (JD with knife rolls but not horizontal knives) followed by spreading and dry fertilizer behind the combine then Aerway at an angle then leave it over the fall/winter.  Follow by spring strip till with row cleaners.

As you, they have been VERY happy with yields and residue management.

I think the key difference between your system and theirs is the row cleaning on the strip till rig in the spring. As a planter guy, we need to get the residue to the side, not mixed into the seed zone in the spring sucking N and making seed to soil contact more difficult. 

The Aerway in the fall looks like a real alternative to break up compaction 8" deep and help get a bit of soil in contact with corn residue over the winter.  In my grazing corn I am limited to running the Aerway in the spring.

I think it would preferably be run in the fall. Nice to hear of your success and yields.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/14/2011 10:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)