AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

to much irra delaying corn maturity??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 8/13/2011 15:51 (#1910431 - in reply to #1910327)
Subject: Opinion, and related question for short season corn growers

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
I think it would be difficult to put down enough water with a typical pivot to significantly delay maturity.

Without seeing the spot in your field on which you are basing your question, I would venture a guess that if you tried to speed corn along by limiting water, you might actually delay it. If you came up here i could show you a field where the corn was very seriously delayed because of water shortage due to plugged sprinklers. The other obvious risk is reduced yield. I guess I'll keep running water as I usually would even though at this point I'd be willing to do nearly anything to move this corn along. This could be the first time ever that 102 day corn didn't get the heat necessary to mature here.

So, for you guys in northern climates or at high altitude where it's not that unusual to see corn get frosted before it's ideally ready, how far along does it have to be to avoid a total disaster? How far along to have harvestable grain, and what kind of yield reduction if it is around 1/2 milk line when it's killed by frost?

Edited by Ben in the Basin 8/13/2011 15:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)