AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building loading corral
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 7/6/2007 18:40 (#171151 - in reply to #169508)
Subject: RE: Building loading corral

I for sure wouldnt use railroad ties. They are worse than fence posts and thats not good. Find some old pivot pipe for posts,set them in concrete,,, slush concrete inside,,, and a upside down pencil point up from the ground say a foot or so,,,so manure cant set next to the metal. Sloped up hard to the pipe posts(not flat topped). That will last a long time compared to ties. I used to adjoin a railroad track,,,they furnished brand new oak heavy ties for posts on the common fence,,,plus was good friend of guy who did these things for them,we installed. Worthless dang ties rot off fast than you think they ever would!! They arent treated with enough good stuff to be in dirt and around manure. they last quite awhile on a rock base for drainage and clean envinment!!(on the rails). I think they are too porus and allow water to set clear inside of them where it sets and rots!!

Might be able to put a pretty plactic cap on the pipe post tops if you want,keeping water out of them has to extend their lifetimes!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)