AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying Fungicide with Helicopter (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 8/6/2011 09:17 (#1898292 - in reply to #1898274)
Subject: rode with mine while spraying in 2009

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings,

Our helo applicator grew up about a mile from me. He is based out of Abbeyville LA (near Lafayette). T & M Aviation.

I believe he has used the guys from Gettysburg to fill in when they need extra units.

They run up to 120 gallons/fill or 60-80 with passenger.... likely adjusted for air conditions.

Key to helo efficiency is the truck landing site. Though only carrying a fraction of the water load of a big turbine fixed wing, they can reload in under a minute often within a short distance of the application area. Their end turns are short and can work around obstacles better than fixed wing.

Never did he bad mouth fixed wing application as he works with them all the time. But helo and fixed wing are different approaches to the same goal. Accurate application from the air.

I rode and took video for a presentation when they worked for me two years ago. Crossing the field is like riding a magic carpet. The turns take some getting used to when he stands that thing up on its nose and heads back into the swath. Also, he likes to spray with doors off the cockpit so you accept the harness as your friend when he is making those turn.

They can reconfigure the aircraft in a rather short period of time to go from aerial application to passenger mode, fire fighting, etc.

What I find really interesting is when they open up the engine compartment and you see that relatively small turbine power plant.

It's not a business for me from an investment standpoint that's for sure. And, like everything else, the cool and sexy part wears off when you are trying to get all the orders covered.

Edited by notilltom 8/6/2011 09:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)